Stafford Town Centre Business Rates Relief Scheme
This is a scheme to promote the occupation of empty retail units in certain parts of Stafford Town Centre. Through this scheme for a 12 month period eligible businesses can claim 100% discount on their business rates up to a maximum of £10,000 whichever is the lowest
Businesses interested in applying for this scheme must meet the following criteria:
1. Be new to the area of Stafford as stipulated specifically in Appendix One (shown below)
2. Want to occupy a currently empty ground floor retail unit or business premises in one of the eligible streets:
- Crabbery Street
- Gaolgate Street
- Gaolgate Place
- Guildhall Shopping Centre
- Malt Mill Lane
- Market Street
- North Walls (part of.)
- Princes Street
- Salter Street
- Stafford Street
See Appendix 2 below for map of eligible streets.
3. Must not be a business which is a charity shop, betting shop, off license, e-cigarette/vaping shop, pawnbroker, short-term high interest loan company or similar
4. Must not have already started trading at the unit
5. Where a lease is involved, this must be for a minimum of three years
6. Must inform the Council of timescales in terms of moving into the vacant premises
7. Must be compliant with State Aid De Minimis regulations. See guidance notes for further information.
Should eligible businesses meet one or more of the points below, priority will be given in support of their application:
- Be going into vacant units or business premises in a prominent ground floor location
- Be an independent trader
- Be able to source a level of financial contribution from the landlord e.g. rent free period
Subject to meeting the eligibility criteria and the number of priority factors evidenced in the application, the Borough Council will provide 100% discount on business rates for up to a 12 month period OR a £10,000 contribution towards business rates, whichever is the lower.
How To Apply
There is a dedicated application form which the applying business (or person authorised to sign on behalf of the ratepayer such as an accountant or agent) must complete.
For an informal chat and to request an application form, please contact;
Economic Development Officer
For more information on the scheme please download and read the full guidance notes.